Thursday, September 15, 2011

September 15, 2011

As mentioned before, breakfast can be a battle at the Wild Thing's abode. But this? Well this bowl of yumminess is never a battle (at least so far...). Don't blame the delectable dish for the not so great lighting and photographer's lack of skill. It is yummy despite bad photography!


I thought I would share the recipe should you be inclined to indulge in it. And I suggest you do as it is awesome if I do say so myself. And I'm thinking you could mix all the dry stuff together the night before and just add the liquid stuff super quick in the morning.

Creamy Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal

3 3/4 cup water
scant 2/3 cup dried cranberries (I have also used raisins, but I prefer cranberries personally)
2 2/3 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped (I just toss these in the skillet while the oatmeal is cooking over medium heat until they smell roasted - no oil or butter needed)
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder (I am certain you could use regular milk instead of the water and milk powder, but when I created this I was worried about scalding the milk while the oatmeal cooked. Experiment at your own risk!)
2 Tbsp Agave nectar (I like agave because it doesn't spike your blood sugar like regular sugar does, but it if you don't have it, you could go with brown sugar)
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
couple dashes ground ginger

Bring water and cranberries to a boil in large saucepan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer 4-5 minutes or until oatmeal is cooked and creamy.
Serves 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment